Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Results are in! PET Scan #3! And More...

I've been sitting on this blog for almost a week now.  Not because I didn't know how to tell you this but because so much has gone on since then.  I met with Dr. R on Tuesday and my sister sat in on the appointment.  My gut instincts were true.  My cancer has grown.  It has returned to my lymph nodes.  It's back in my bones.  There is a bony mass in my right arm that is apparent.  Although it doesn't hurt me.  My pelvic tumor is now at 19 cm.  I think.  My doctor said our next point of action is to try Taxol and I have no hesitation in trying this.  I'm on board.  She gave me a few days off of chemo and I was to start chemo #9 on Friday.  This is also the same say I was to start Aredia.  Aredia just strengthens my bones so we moved that appointment down for another 2 weeks, no big deal.  I don't know what else to say. My doctor gave me the PET scan report but I haven't gone through it.  I guess at this point, I'm keeping a lot of things private for my family.

Waiting for my PET scan results.

Not the results I wanted but I'm ready to fight forward!
Afterwards I met with Nurse Gail who would change the dressing on my midline catheter.  I gave her one look and told her that my Pet scan results came back and they weren't good, but that we were going to give Taxol a try.  The good thing about Taxol is that the side effects will be less harsh.  I won't have as much nausea or vomiting but I will have to watch out for neuropathy, which is tingling in my hands and feet.  My sister is doing a great job at managing my medication for me and I'm becoming more and more tired.  I thought I was going to have to head to the lab to get my pre chemo blood work drawn but luckily head nurse Cynthia came to the rescue and drew my labs.  She is an angel.  I never felt the needle stick.  After I had my dressing changed, I met with my LCSW, Joji.  I again let my sister sit in on this meeting  Joji was going to ask for another referral to continue our meetings. Just having found out of my cancer growing, it was important to me to have his support in the rest of my unknown journey.

Dressing change on my midline.
The next day, Wednesday, I had a paracentesis scheduled with NP Kelly.  My sister took me to get my ultrasound at 8am and the tech marked the spot on my belly.  But Kelly tried poking me 3x and couldn't get the fluid to come out so she made the decision to send me to Interventional Radiology to have them finish up.  Dr. Kelly had finished up the procedure but NP Kelly had numbed me up so well I didn't feel a thing.   We managed to get another 3 liters of fluid out just like last night.  They glued me up and sent me to recovered,  I had taken an Ativan before the procedure so I was pretty loopy.

Thursday I had another procedure scheduled, a pleurax catheter placed in my chest to help with my shortness of breath.  I arrived to the hospital at noon and got admitted.  I had taken an Ativan again to help me keep loopy.  We made it over to IR where they also gave me Benadryl.  This made me all sorts of crazy.  Today Dr. Nelson (who placed my midline) would be placing my catheter.  I was all prepped up and ready to go.  I would be awake during the procedure and only lidocaine would be used.  Thank God, John, one of the nurses, lent me his hand during the procedure to squeeze on.  I was very loopy.  They managed to get 1.5 liters of fluid out of my left pleural cavity.  I was coughing profusely but I knew that in a few days my shortness of breath would get better.  I was advised that I would be given a home healthcare nurse who would teach my sister and I how to drain my lung at home.  I was very happy about it.

Recovering from my pleurax catheter.

I must say, last week was kinda a blur and I am very exhausted.  I have yet to tell you about chemo #9 but I must say, it has been very good to me so far, I'm just tired.  I've spent a lot of time in bed but at least I'm eating.  It's been very trying keeping my spirit up.  I've spent some time being silly when I can but others, I just want to rest with Molly as she is the only one who know what I need.

Catheter!

Woody from Toy Story??? LOL

Nope! It's my bed pan!

Stuffing pillows into my sweat shirt to stay propped up and comfy.
Only Molly knows what mommy needs.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Marta! The fighting spirit! My spirit is with you too, no distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Marta! Hope Love Faith sweet girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marta, the strength you are showing in the face of all these issues is truly inspiring. Ernie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the fight Marta!! I love keeping up with your blogs and I cant wait to hear you get good news...This last picture of you and Molly made me tear up as I know all to well, my animals are the only ones who know exactly what to do to make me feel better no matter whats going on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marta, I pray for you to find relief and good news in your fight of this unkind cancer. Four years ago my 27 yr. old daughter fought this same cancer. She was not able to fight the fight as you have done. Keep it up Marta...you are helping so many others with your strength and determination each and everyday. I will keep praying for you to fight for a very long time. You are a blessing to so many!

    ReplyDelete